Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bar Soap Bags

Pin It A while ago my doctor recommended that I stop using shower gel and start using bar soap. Apparently, bar soap is less drying than shower gels. And being a classic redhead (auburn hair) with sensitive skin, I need soap that won't make my skin any dryer than it already is. So, off I went to the drug store to buy my bar soaps. Then I ran into the age old problem of what to do with the bar slivers that you end up with after wearing the bar soap down. I don't want to waste them. I remember when I was a little girl, my mom had made a little netting bag that we put our bar soap slivers into in order to use them all up. Okay, so I had the basic idea of what I wanted to do, but no netting. Then last night I won 10 assorted microfiber washcloths in a raffle at the Knights of Columbus Steak Fry that we go to every month. Two of the washcloths were white with netting on one side. Voila - here is the perfect material to make my soap bags out of. Plus, with the washcloth material on the one side I don't have to wait for the bar to become a sliver, I can pop the whole bar into the bag. The netting on the outside of the bag can act like a bath scrunchy/scrubby.


I marked out lines on the washcloth so I could sew a line and then zigzag stitch over it to lessen any fraying once I cut the fabric. Plus, with two layers, it kept the layers from slipping around.

My first attempt turned out a little big, but I just seam ripped it apart and shortened the length. The width turned out perfect for putting the bar in sideways.



Here are two finished bags. You can see the netting material on the outside of the bags. They close with a little strip of velco. One bag for me, one bag for Mr. K2.

3 comments:

Anna Depew said...

This is a really great idea! You just commented on my blog about needing a pattern like the overalls pattern I posted. There's a reproduction of that exact patter on EvaDress.
http://www.evadress.com/4536.html
Maybe we should do a sew along... what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hi there! The blue floral and housewife bundles are put aside for you. Can you please send me your email address so that I can send you an invoice? My email is rhinestonesandtelephones [at] gmail [dot] com.

Sarah :)
http://www.rhinestonesandtelephones.com/

J. said...

Love this idea! Brilliant!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...